Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recycled trees

We have always enjoyed cut trees from local tree farms for Christmas at my house. This year was a lovely Fraser Fir that held on to its needles the entire three weeks it was decorated in our home. Because it was still so lovely, the week after the holiday when all decorations were removed, the tree was placed on our deck. I think it added a fresh look to the deck. In fact, I have considered getting a live tree next year so I can keep the tree! A few birds used the outdoor tree as a temporary home. They flew away when we exited onto the deck. But, I have now placed the tree in the woods to give better cover to the birds and other animals. I know some people mulch their trees. In Roanoke, the city does the mulching and spreads it throughout town. All of you who use fake trees to conserve trees and your own money, my hat's off to you. I just love the smell of the real thing and am glad to support the local farmers.

No comments: