Saturday, February 28, 2015

Farewell Spock

I had heard the other day that Leonard Nimoy was hospitalized and could not remember why. This morning, I read the news that he died Friday from complications of COPD. His Twitter advice? "Don't smoke. I wish I never had." Even though he had quit smoking 30 years ago, complications occurred.
I was nine when the Apollo 11 astronauts landed on the moon, and watched Star Trek reruns as a young adult. Then later, fell in love with Star Trek: The Next Generation. The character of Spock was timeless. He appeared in all of the genres of the show, even the newer reboots of the movies. I think he touched a chord in many of us because he was of mixed race (half human-half Vulcan) and because he was the logical calm that I know I would like to be in stressful situations. Except for the two remakes, which I really like, my favorite Star Trek movie is IV: The Voyage Home. I most enjoyed the interaction between Spock and Captain Kirk while walking through modern-day Earth. The environmental plug was awesome as well. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, even though it is a little dated now.
Farewell Leonard Nimoy. Your memory will live long and spark the imaginations of many.

No comments: